What is …?
Steamed Fruit Cake
Some tips for preparation:
- I placed my butter in room temperature overnight so that it’s softened by the time I started mixing the next morning. It’s important for the butter to be completely soft so that the ingredients will amalgamate thoroughly.
- I prepared all the ingredients first before I started mixing & preparing the burnt sugar.
- I started cooking the burnt sugar & mixing the cake mixture simultaneously as the burnt sugar did take some time to caramelise.
- I steamed 2 cakes in one go by using my 2 layer steamer pot. After steaming the cakes for 2 & 1/2 hours, I switched the position of the 2 steamers such that the top went to the bottom & vice versa. Then I continued steaming them for another 1 & 1/2 hours.
- I usually covered the pan with grease paper & then aluminium foil before steaming, but this time It worked well. In fact, it’s easier.
- This cake is best eaten after a few days to allow the flavour to fully develop.
To see more products from Halal Street UK, click the link below.